Honda hrx217 runs rough at idle

Miles1

Forum Newbie
Threads
I got a used Honda hrx217 that starts easy but has a rough idle and vibrates more than it should. Runs fairly normal when blades are engaged. The vibration also goes away. Can this really be a carburetor issue?

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
as you can see there are quite a few HR217's above, need complete numbers. absolutely yes carburetor may be culprit. I would replace spark plug, air & fuel filters, change oil, remove blade & clean, inspect, sharpen & balance before reinstalling lawn mower blade.

Miles1

Forum Newbie
Threads
I put a new spark plug in it and used it for the first time to mow the yard to see if anything would change while mowing. This model has a blade clutch. Still runs rough on idle with vibrations. The vibration gets better after engaging the blades but still has some. I am hoping it doesn’t have a bent crankshaft. I would think the vibration would get worse with blades engaged. Any other ideas before I clean the carburetor.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Nearly a hundred years go i learned missing at idle but running mostly correct can be a vacuum leak .

Miles1

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am going to take carburetor apart and clean it. Hopefully that will fix it. I am not too optimistic that will fix it though.